This is my basic recipe for buffalo chicken nuggets. This is a tasty Sunday afternoon snack to munch on during a football game, or even a late fall baseball game.
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp buffalo sauce (I use Frank's wing sauce), plus more for dipping
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Celery, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cut the chicken into evenly sized chunks, approximately 1.5 inches in size.
- Add the flour to a large, shallow bowl. Mix the regular breadcrumbs and panko in a second large, shallow bowl. Season both the flour and breadcrumb mixture with even amounts of salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Add the egg to a third large, shallow bowl. Whisk in the buffalo sauce.
- Follow standard breading procedure. Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess. Coat each piece of chicken in the egg mixture, then the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium to medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil. Add the chicken to the pan, using two batches if necessary to avoid crowding. Allow the chicken to brown on one side, approximately 2 minutes, before flipping and browning on the other side.
- Move the chicken to a wire rack on a baking sheet. Bake the chicken for an additional 15 minutes, to cook through and add more crispiness. Serve with celery and extra buffalo sauce for dipping.