I don’t really have a recipe for regular meatballs, even though I make them all the time. I learned to make them from my dad. Mine still never turn out as well as his, so it would seem wrong for me to post a recipe for them. But it is my own variation to add spinach, so here’s the recipe for my Spinach Meatballs.
- 9 oz package frozen spinach
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain panko bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Microwave the spinach according to package directions. Put the cooked spinach in a fine strainer and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Chop the spinach.
- Combine the ground beef, spinach, egg, panko, salt and pepper. Mix together thoroughly.
- Form the meat into golf ball sized meatballs.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil. Brown the meatballs on all sides. They do not need to be cooked through at this point, but the browning will add texture and flavor.
- Add the meatballs to simmering sauce to cook them all the way through.