Lemon Pistachio Biscotti
The inspiration for these biscotti came from Ryan’s discovery of the incredible but obscenely expensive Lemon Pistachio biscotti from Pain D’Avignon. I attempted some reverse engineering of the ingredients on the label. I landed on this recipe, and happily, it comes pretty close to the inspiration cookies.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 egg, beaten, for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 325°
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, lemon zest and lemon extract and beat until combined. Add the dry mixture to the wet, then add the pistachios. Mix on low until the mixture just comes together.
- Form the dough into a log on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the top with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the loaf is golden brown. Allow loaf to cool for 10-15 minutes on the baking sheet until it begins to firm up.
- Move the cooled loaf to a cutting board and slice into one inch slices with a serrated knife. There will be 12-13 slices.
- Return each slice to the baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 more minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.